Arizona State University and The Hugh Downs School of Human Communication will host the 2015...
Doctoral Program Admission Requirements
Admission to the Hugh Downs School of Human Communication doctoral program is competitive. Applications must be submitted by the regular January 5th deadline for admission the following fall. Applicants must have earned either a bachelor's or master's degree before starting the program and must present evidence of scholarly writing (e.g., an undergraduate honors thesis, a master's thesis, or their equivalent).
All applicants should be knowledgeable in the basic principles of both qualitative and quantitative methods of research, social statistics and communication theory.
In addition to meeting the minimum Graduate Education admission requirements, the applicant's scholastic and professional record must indicate special interest in and aptitude for systematic research in communication. All applicants must submit the following:
- A completed Graduate College application and official undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
- A formal curriculum vitae.
- A statement of career goals and the relevance of this degree program to those goals.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (verbal, quantitative, analytical) taken within the past five years, plus other relevant test data volunteered by the applicant. Our institution code is 4007 (no department code is needed).
- Three letters of recommendation prepared within the preceding 12 months.
- A sample of writing (e.g., chaper from master's thesis, course paper).
- A minimum score of 83 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for international applicants. Our institution code is 4007 (no department code is needed). The Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test will be administered on campus to all graduate teaching and research associates whose native language is not English.
All application materials must be received no later than January 5th for Fall admission consideration (our program does not have Spring admission).
Please follow the Doctoral Application Checklist to ensure that all information is submitted correctly.
Questions? Please email PHDCOM@asu.edu.